I was trying to make image sequence for voodoo camera tracker software for 3D compositing in Blender. I tried to find a way to do it in either Final Cut Pro or Compressor. So far no luck. However, great open source software comes into rescue fortunately.
First I tried using ffmpeg and it failed - apparently it only converted keyframes successfully and the frames between them were gray with only the changing part of the frame visible (and obviously it looked really bad). Then after that I tried using mplayer. It was more successful.
This line converted my movie into png sequence
mplayer MVI_2894.MOV -ao NULL -vo png
There are still problems:
- voodoo takes in tga sequence and now I have a png sequence
- there is a gamma problem, this video has different gamma than the image sequence that results - the image sequence has too high contrast.
I will try to continue with this quest but decided to type this short mention that what seems to be a good way to extract the image sequence out of the H264 HDSLR video.